The video camera is a very powerful storytelling tool, but for it to function properly, it needs a little tender loving care. Throughout the summer, multiple kids will use the same cameras, so it’s very important that you do your part to keep these cameras healthy. It’s not hard, so don’t worry. Here are some tips you can follow:
- Only wipe the lens with lens cloth!
- Turn the camera off when not using it.
- Charge the batteries.
- Upload your footage after every shoot.
- Hold the camera still. Use your TRIPOD!
- Wipe SD card before you start filming.
- Put lens cap in camera bag when not in use, and back on lens when done.
- Touch the lens with your shirt or fingers!
- Drop anything!
- Get the camera wet.
- Leave the equipment outside overnight.
- Set the camera on the edge of a table.
- Put the lens cap in your pocket (easy to lose!)
- Force a tripod joint when panning/tilting.
- Loosen a tripod knob so much it falls off!
You are responsible for the equipment when it’s at your home. Accidents happen, but please take all the precautions you can.
When checking out and checking in cameras, there will be specified times. It’s very important to pick up and return your equipment on time, as other campers need this camera to tell their stories. Please refer to the equipment list in every bag to keep track of all gear.
When you check out your camera, you will come to Light House between 3pm-5pm on the Sunday (the day before your workshop begins). A Light House staffer will present you with a fully sanitized Filmmaking Kit. The Kit will include a camera, tripod, batteries, a charger, and other items depending on the class you are taking.
If you don’t know how to operate the camera, don’t worry! One of the Light House Teaching Artists will go over the equipment during the first day of camp. Throughout the camp, we will not only serve as teachers but also as tech support.
At the end of the camp week, you will return your Filmmaking Kit to Light House on Friday between 3pm-5pm (the last day of your workshop). Check to make sure you have all the items on the inventory list, which is located in your camera bag. If something is wrong with the gear or pieces are missing, please let Light House know!
Mic + AA batteries for mic (MS/HS only)